Captain Walter McCormack, Hibbing's first unofficial librarian, opened his own collection to the town. The Captain's fondness of reading, and his willingness to lend his books lead to Hibbing's first library.
The first meeting of the library board of Hibbing was held December 11, 1906 in Nelson's Tailor Shop.
$25,000 from the Carnegie fund was given in 1907 and the doors to a new library were opened in 1908 with 4,000 books circulated among 8,000 people living in Hibbing.
Today as in the past, the library is committed to serving all Hibbing residents, infants through senior citizens. We provide traditional library resources as well as new technology.
Check out our website: www.hibbing.lib.mn.us